Monday 2 May 2011

Girly Skull Handmade Buttons and Day 2 Experiment





Here is the handmade button of the day http://www.etsy.com/listing/73263087/pink-skulls-handmade-buttons-washer-and. These are bright pink girly skulls. These aren't my usual style but I think they have a girly punk appeal. I listed these yesterday and also have them in a bright yellow and a pretty bright blue.






Yesterday was Sunday and was a typical day in my home studio. I made and listed lots of buttons. I mentioned in my post yesterday that I was going to treat this week as if it were my real day job. So far today it seems I'm off to a slower start than I anticipated. I did manage to get a kiln full of buttons fired and I'm waiting for them to cool. I have been able to peek into the kiln and I think they turned out really well. I am finding that ceramic buttons are pretty time consuming and really don't seem to give me the quantity I need to list new buttons all the time. I really love them but I think they're beyond the budget of most craft sewers so sales are not as high as they are with my resin buttons which are much more affordable for people. Also with the resin buttons I can make them quite a bit faster.






Anyway so far today I've fired a kiln with the third firing so that when these ceramic buttons cool they should be ready for listing. Fingers crossed they turned out. Ceramics are so unpredictable and each step takes so much time. I had some buttons yesterday but they aren't quite what I wanted as an end result so I have to decide if I want to try and change them in some way. I'm not sure yet what I plan to do.






I seem to be getting distracted with household chores and interruptions from my husband who works a split shift so was home for a couple of hours earlier this morning. I have to learn not to be so easily distracted.






The plans for the rest of the afternoon include finishing listing the resin buttons I took pictures of yesterday and take pictures of the newest batch of resin buttons that are ready to go today. Then I have new buttons to make and get ready for tomorrow. It seems a never ending cycle - make, take pics, list and repeat. I also want to fit in some more ceramics. Since I am teaching myself ceramic button making not all my experiments are successes but I do learn something each and every time.






Oh and I must say I had four packages to mail off this morning and I know one purchase was as a result of my facebook page since I was contacted through my facebook fan page. So off to list some new buttons and tweet them to see if I can get some views and hopefully attract more people to my shop.






Happy Monday everyone. I hope you have a successful and productive day!

No comments: