Saturday 2 January 2010

New Kilns

What a day. We went and picked up a couple of new kilns that I purchased from the parent of a co-worker. My husband I went and picked it up and it was a fair bit heavier than I anticipated. I am very excited to have the much larger kiln even though it will mean that I have to get an electrician in to do some rewiring. I will also have to call my insurance guy and make sure I am covered before we get this big boy going. I also got a second test kiln which I can use for small runs of ceramic or glass. Right now I only have a very small tabletop kiln I use for glass but hopefully once we get these all up and running I can make larger items.

Anyway the problem came when we came to lift it out of the van we had borrowed (with no help). I have an injured shoulder at the moment so was concerned about trying to lift the 250 lb beast with my hubby. I could just envision either crushing my fingers, injuring my shoulder more or having the whole kiln either crash into my father-in-laws van or just simply crash to the ground. I do not know how we did it but we did manage to get it out of the van and onto a dolly and then somehow lift it to its stand. What is even more amazing is my husband did not get upset, did not get angry and just calmly did what had to be done. We had no choice. We worked as a team. We did it.

It was a good day.

No comments: