Wednesday 15 July 2009

Happy Birthday Mom


Today would have been my mother's birthday. She passed away April 4, 2009 less than two month's after my dad passed away. Tragically Mom died in a house fire and we lost the family home and all of our childhood mementos with her. My parents were born a year and a few days apart. Which means that their birthdays are within a few days of each other. Now where I used to celebrate both their birthdays in the same week, this year its a sad reminder that neither of them are here as I have two birthdays to get through within the same week without them.
Anyway, this is not to be a sad post. This is to remember the happy times. I hesitated to put this picture up because Mom was a very private person and didn't like her picture taken. When I saw this picture taken with my son who was just a couple of months old at the time (many years ago now) and I see how happy she was though I had to put it up and hope she understands. It's so nice to see her so happy in a picture. She thought the world of my son, her only grandchild. He could do no wrong in her eyes. I loved her even more for that. It's hard to put into words how much she meant to me. I only realized how much myself now that she's gone. She would have been the first person I went to when I had some good news, especially if it related to my son. She was the one who would share my joy at everything he did. She would have also been the first person I would have gone to if I had a problem. My son is all grown up now but this really makes me smile to look back at this picture and remember how much she loved him, how much she loved all of us - my sister and I as well. She really would have given her life for us. How I wish I had her to talk to, to call up on the phone. I do regret that I didn't do it enough when I had the chance. Was she perfect - absolutely not. None of us are. She did do the best she could and she loved us with all of her heart. I'm sure she is happy that we are all doing OK and that although we miss her she has managed in her passing to take care of us all. She would be so proud and happy she was able to do that. I will be forever grateful to her and continue to love her always. We miss you Mom. I know you think we favoured Dad but that wasn't true. We loved you both with all our hearts. Robin, Penny and Matt.

No comments: